image and portrait of photographer Paul Caponigro
Assignment: Create a ten minute lecture (using Powerpoint or Keynote) to teach the class about a photographer you are interested in.
1. Browse the photo books in the Learning Commons and classroom.
2. Choose a photographer. Discuss your choice with your teacher.
3. Collect 30 to 40 images from the photographer. These can represent their their whole career or a particular body of work. You may scan images or find them online.
4. Research the photographer. You can use the photographer’s website, a book, online interviews or scholarly articles or reviews. You will need to cite 3 sources.
5.Organize a slideshow lecture to teach the class about this photographer as follows:
- Start with one or more images that represent the photographer, and a quote from the photographer.
- Write a thesis statement (3-5 sentence paragraph) describing why you think this photographer is important for us to know.
- A brief history of the photographer–when they worked (era), what they photographed (genre), and how they made images (technology)
- 3 to 5 “chapters” showing different aspects of the artist’s work, using their photographs as “evidence” (at least 5 images per chapter)
- A conclusion that relates back to your thesis.
- A source citation page (slide). You should have three sources. Use standard MLA format.
6.Deliver your talk to the class.
Download the assignment here: Adv Photo Presentation guidelines
Download the rubric here: Presentation Rubric