You will create a WordPress blog to feature all of your best work from Digital Photography. A blog allows you to post images and write about them. Every assignment in Digital Photography will have some of your writing to go along with it.
Your Photographer’s Bio: Write a one paragraph description of yourself as a photographer. Whatever WordPress template you choose, make sure your Bio is easily accessible from the start page, when you arrive at the blog.
- Go back to the websites you looked at featuring color photographers, or the website of any photographer you admire. Read their bios.
- Write a 5-7 sentence paragraph describing yourself as a photographer. If you like, start with the sentence, “——— (your name) is a photography student at Concord Carlisle High School in Concord, MA.”
- Sentences 2 through 4 or 5 should describe who you are as a photographer. This could be, what you like taking photos of, what stories you like to tell with photography, what draws you to photography visually, what photography means to you personally or culturally, who has influenced your work (well-known photographers who you follow), and so on.
- Conclude with one sentence to tie it all together. This can be a nod to the future (what you will do next or continue doing as a photographer), your ambitions, how photography fits into your life going forward (in high school and perhaps beyond).
Description of Work
For the first color assignment, you need to write two paragraphs to go with your photo essay.
- Describe the story. What is this that we are seeing? Describe the location and activity, or your experience visiting with your camera and what you were looking for. Give us some back story on the subject–who are these people, what is this place? It can be a brief history, things you learned while there, or things you already knew that drew you to this subject. Then, write about why this story is important. The people, place or activity shown may have personal meaning to you. Or, you can tell us why it’s important to all of us or worth seeing.
- Describe your approach to this subject as a photographer. How did you cover the location, people or event? How did you approach them? How did you use available light? What colors caught your attention, and do they communicate information or mood? Did you work quickly or slowly? How did you position yourself to capture your subject? How, overall, did you make this shoot a success (you can use your own images as examples in your writing). What did you learn about being a photographer, or about photography in general from going on assignment?